- To challenge pupils, to think, act and speak. Teaching students to become visually literate so that they are able to read, interpret and find meanings in signs, symbols, codes and conventions.
- To ensure our students understand how music can support the development of life skills, such as confidence, self-awareness and discipline.
- To ensure our students understand the complexities of music through analysis of a wide range of genres from different musical and cultural perspectives.
- To develop students’ critical thinking skills and artistic vocabulary to enable them to formulate their own ideas and opinions when reviewing, modifying and evaluating work and setting personal targets.
- To enable students to transfer their practical and cognitive skills for realising ideas, to create and make their own work, manipulating materials, tools and techniques.
- To provide high quality opportunities for all our students to work with creative practitioners and cultural organisation partnerships.
- To provide instruments, equipment and resources to students, ensuring there are no barriers to learning.
- To accumulate knowledge, behaviours and skills that a student can draw upon and which demonstrates their cultural awareness so that they may be successful in society.
- To ensure our students understand the creative processes of different practitioners and encourage them to understand creative practice through knowledge, understanding and production of art in context. Engaging with practitioners and examples of historical art and design from a range of cultural contexts.
- To develop students to have limitless aspirations of the arts.
- To enable academic success within the arts alongside creativity and inventiveness, equipping our students with the personal qualities and key skills they need to excel.
- To ensure that our students have the necessary skills to be able to access the optional arts curriculum at KS 4 and KS 5.
- To challenge students in all arts lessons to be able to demonstrate understanding and creativity through performance, composition, through collaboration with their peers and evaluation of their work.
- To provide a high quality and balanced curriculum which promotes students’ understanding of themselves, their identity and personal culture by building on their own interests and prior learning.
- To offer extra-curricular instrumental lessons to all students.
- To develop student’s identities, to help them to make sense of who they are and how they fit into the world.
- To inspire students to develop a love of music and their ability as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.
- To develop in our students an awareness of how the arts are firmly rooted in culture, its contribution to the wealth of our nation and how the arts affect our everyday life and our being in the world.
- To develop Students to be positive, creative and emotionally intelligent performers.
- To encourage our learners to explore and discover in a safe and purposeful Arts environment.
- To develop an appreciation for theatre and to have a cultural awareness of it.
To download this table, please click below.
Medium Term Plans
Performing Arts SMSC Statement